At the Richardson Seventh-day Adventist church deacons play an active role in assisting the pastors and elders in the caring for the congregation. Deacons are ordained to the position in the church and are tasked with helping during the communion service, maintaining church property, visiting the sick, and helping with baptisms.
The assigned deacons will be responsible for the following items:
- After each worship service, they will do a walkthrough of the sanctuary where hymn and praise books are returned to the pew racks, and loose papers are thrown in the trash.
- Assist in collecting the offering during the worship service.
- Set-up tables in the Family Life Center for church potluck.
- Patrol the church facilities and the parking lot during worship services, report suspicious activity to the Head Deacon, Elder, 911, as appropriate.
Assist with Baptisms
- Filling the baptismal tank
- Assist male candidates as they prepare for the baptism
Assisting with the Communion Service.
- Setting up rooms including chairs, tables, towels, water, and basins for foot washing
- Restoring rooms after foot washing
- Washing foot washing basins
- Preparing Sanctuary for Communion Service
- Assisting disabled members in getting to foot washing rooms